Saturday 24 December 2011

Will power

I've mentioned before the British Rail Class 17, otherwise known as the Clayton Type 1, a delightful diesel-electric Bo-Bo:


Despite its rather lovely looks, this machine has some claim to being the least successful design of diesel locomotive ever to operate in Britain. More than 100 were built from the mid-1960s, and they were all scrapped by about 1970.


Well, all except one, actually, which went on to have a very successful life as a privately-owned industrial shunter, before entering preservation (which suggests BR never learned how to manage them). It now runs on the Princes Risborough and Chinnor Railway.


It's been wonderfully repainted into its original colours, a rather lovely two-tone green livery. In my fantasy world, the M&GN was not destroyed and, instead, fleets of these operated the freight and local services across Norfolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire, replacing the unglamorous Ivatt 4MT steam engines...


I have a couple (maybe a few more, I haven't counted) of Heljan's 00 Class 17 models, but ... there's now an O gauge model by JLTRT. Unfortunately it's only sold as a kit, and here's a photo of someone's lovely machine in the course of construction:


I really, really want one of these, but... it's O gauge, which means it's huge (nice!), and which means I'd need a whole new set of track, electrical gubbins and, of course, stuff for it to haul...


Oh, but I really want one.

How long before I crack, do you think?

5 comments:

LeDuc said...

I don't have what you'd call a layout. More a pile of trains on a huge table, with an oval and assorted shunting sidings laid out. The whole thing is a big mess.

Maybe that's the attraction of O gauge -- the chance to start again with something that, for both cost and space reasons, has to be contained. I'll probably go to the GOG show in Bristol in January, where I might be tempted. I've just commissioned someone to build an 00 loco kit for me, so maybe the next move will be into O.

I've always had a soft spot for those GWR streamlined railcars. The Hornby model uses very old tooling and is not up to modern standards (and it's of the Mk2 angular version rather than the lovelier Mk1 banana streamliner), but it's still beautifully painted and rather attractive.

LeDuc said...

Lest any passing reader thinks I'm insane, that comment (above) was a reply to another comment that now seems to have disappeared. Apologies for looking like I'm just talking to myself. Though maybe I am, and the weird fantasy world in which I live has now broken through into my permanent world, and...

Biffo the Bear said...

Your conversation with yourself has entertained me for a long time now. By the way, the young man in the post above is quite simply the most fuckable, suckable man I've seen in forever.

Anonymous said...

LeDuc, your first comment above was in reply to mine asking about your "layout". Thanks for replying and interesting to read of your "set up".

I have two ovals on the floor right now, with one siding on the inside which I'd like as a kind of colliery depot and other sidings for shunting fun. Plus a few points - hopefully a passing loop too where my station will be.

I need a baseboard now. Looking at two 4x4ft boards I can join together making an 8x4.

I have a feeling this is going to take a long time indeed.
Thanks for your updates as usual. You must be almost at your limit now? ;(

Merry Christmas to you too.

P.

Anonymous said...

So good to see you back - welcome home! I'm glad you're still in love with our blond friend beside his rather unusual Christmas tree. Good luck with the Gauge 0: it calls for a veritable palace of a house by today's miserly standards. Some pieces by Bassett Lowke and Märklin never go amiss. Here's wishing you a happy New Year and hoping that you'll find it possible to stay with us even if only on more of an 'occasional' basis
bg