Tuesday 31 May 2011

Norfolk sojourn

I had a delightful, if somewhat overcast, looong weekend in Norfolk, thanks very much for asking, though the heavy clouds made the light seem very thin and flat for the photography:


But the magnificence of that Classical pile can counter any flatness or dullness of light, as can the sheer romance of this next pile of old rocks:


Lots more of that some other time: so far it's taken more than twenty hours to upload my photos to flickr (not the fastest site on the planet, by any means) and I've still not finished.


This post is by way of a placemarker, to let you know I haven't forgotten you. And it's also to prepare you for some of the architectural and photographic treats that I have in store:


Including this delightful church, the central tower of which is about one thousand years old:


And historic places like this -- the stairs up which climbed Queen Isabella as she entered a life of banishment, having conspired to murder her husband, the queer King Edward II:


It wasn't all buildings -- there were a few rather lovely Norfolk landscapes, too, as the grain crops grow towards maturity:


That was a view squeezed through a hedge, whereas this line of trees is quite beautiful:


And this gives a rather nice taste for the sheer scale of Norfolk's vast skies:


You see, that doesn't look at all boring, does it? Well worth looking forward to.

Now, where's all the cock?

6 comments:

Jim in SC said...

You really have the photographers eye. Lovely shots...

NorwichResident said...

Is the first one Houghton Hall?

Fantastic photos.

LeDuc said...

I'm blushing...

Yes, the 1st one is Houghton. I'll post some more, sometime in the next day or so.

Anonymous said...

First class photos, LeDuc, and thanks for them! Everybody's taste in cock (excuse me!) is different so we all doubtless have our own favourite cock sites - it's the trains and the architecture I like best on your site

Anonymous said...

I must admit that in the fourth one I can picture cows catapulted out over the edge, a la Monty Python.

The New Me said...

fyi i read all the posts about your travels, and most (admittedly not all) of the posts about trains. Yes, Yes, I came for the cock, but there's more here and I disagree with your friend. Still sorry you're going to stop blogging.