Sunday 11 September 2011

Spreading it on thickly

There's something rather delicious about a brand-new pot of jam, especially when it's as special as this -- Wilkin & Sons' East Anglian Strawberry conserve:


I am, obviously, a partisan supporter of produce from the region of my childhood (even if it was a Hellhole). And while Essex is clearly an utterly foreign place (the clue is in the name -- Essex = East Saxons, the Saxons being completely alien to me and my kin, whereas us Norfolk and Suffolk people are the two tribes of the fine and upstanding Angles (Angles = East Anglia, Geddit?), Norfolk = North Folk, etc)... well, in a globalised world, Essex is close enough.

And I confess to being also an addict of Wilkin's no peel Marmalade, as this well-used (and possibly abused) breakfast pot will testify.


Er... nothing else to add, really. Just thought I'd share a jammy moment or two with you.

3 comments:

David Chappell said...

Oh what a travesty, marmalade without peel! NO NO NO

LeDuc said...

I knew someone would be unhappy about that.

I have to say, "no peel" Marmalade is immeasurably more pleasurable than the contaminated stuff (just as ordinary fruit tea cakes are much nicer than hot cross buns).

Too many things in life have one too many ingredients in them...

Viollet said...

Marmalade MUST be (a) home-made; and (b) more peel than jelly. Tiptree no-peel is (to my mind) a sort of orange jelly and not marmalade at all. Sorry!