Saturday 30 April 2011

Funny old world

I'd been out to Egham in Surrey, to wander around Royal Holloway College -- Pevsner describes it and its sister building, Holloway Sanatorium, as "the summit of Victorian High design".


It is, bizarrely, an 1881 confection based on the Château de Chambord of 1519... But more of that some other time.

Anyway, as a result I found myself leaning against a lamppost at Egham station, waiting for my train home, and I was passing the time by taking desultory photos in a rather half-hearted manner. Like this one:


As the train pulled out of the station I kept snapping -- truly dismal photography, if I may say so.


And then something extraordinary happened: in self-defence, a man who had found himself in my frame started taking photos of me...


I was being so pathetic that, at the time, I didn't notice he had done that. I had seen the pair of them earlier, standing at a ticket machine, and noted the photographer's friend in his tight stretchy top (whose very sexy good looks have not been enhanced by my dismal photography, I'm ashamed to say). 


But flip-flop-footed photographer is, now I come to study these images, actually rather lovely. I wonder if he'll see himself on here...?

3 comments:

Niall said...

He is rather hot.
Shame, you could probably have easily turned that into a modeling proposition for him!

Captain Sensible said...

I'm slightly deterred by the child-bearing hips...

albeo said...

can you believe I spent a whole summer in that building in... wait... 1985, mastering the English language as a foreign student? I was 10 at the time, and the other students were all in theirlate teens. I was vastly more advanced than they were having grown up bilingual, all I needed was some toughening of my grammar. I became their mascot. I fantasised about the boys...