Friday 5 August 2011

Habit-forming

Being both a history geek and a Narcissist, my mind sometimes asks what sort of life I would have lived if I were around in, say, the Medieval period.


I wouldn't have wanted to be a soldier, and peasant farming was both a brutal and (usually) marginal existence. That left a religious life, and given the sheer density of monasteries I think that would have been an achievable goal.


The (piss poor) photos in this post are of Castle Acre Priory, in deepest Norfolk, a Cluniac foundation and therefore closely connected to mainland Europe.


The architecture was obviously rather fine and the extensive ranges of buildings were often beautifully decorated. The Prior's lodgings would not have shamed the wealthy owner of a substantial manor:


A contemplative life, access to a shedload of wealth (and a regular food supply), no nasty fighting, and all-male dormitories...


Yeah, this would have been the life for me. In fact, even today, it's well worth contemplating as a career option.

1 comment:

sticks said...

Could you cope with a tonsure and wearing a cassock?! And sandals in winter, of course.

(By the way, your photos aren't 'piss-poor'.)