Wednesday 23 February 2011

Brutal

After I droned on the other day about Birmingham's Brutalist central library, a couple of readers drew my attention to the Geisl Library at UCSD in Ca-lie-4-nye-ah.


It's an extraordinary concrete space ship, dominating its campus.


Up close there are strangely beautiful wave-like forms, the concrete and the glass working rather well together.


It's a very masculine building, all jutting projections and giant supporting beams.


Although I have no idea what it's like to work in, it's intriguing and interesting and, in the context of a university campus (a place for boldness and experimentation, for elevating the prosaic into the transcendent), it's not at all bad.


Then again, maybe all architecture looks better bathed in the sunlight of these here parts rather than in the damp chill of Birmingham.

2 comments:

jsstrand said...

I had no idea about this wonderful building at all - and of course, it resounds with the whimsy of Dr. Seuss - I can just imagine Horton, the Grinch, Bartholomew Cubbins and all the rest of them thoroughly at home in this wonderful edifice - thanks for posting this charming discovery - you must continue to blog forever!!
John

LeDuc said...

Thanks, John -- I adore flattery!

Interestingly, the cultural reference that sprang to my mind was Thunderbirds: it felt to me like something from Tracey Island. Or, rather, from the fertile Moderne brains of the Andersons.