Monday 28 February 2011

Olé!

My lovely friend N. paid an all-too-brief visit to London today, so here's where we had lunch:


(My Italian friends should skip this paragraph). Spanish food is my favourite national cuisine. And tapas is my favourite way of eating it -- especially with croquetas as exquisite as these:


Tapas also, of course, gives me a chance to indulge my delight in very cold and very dry sherry. Today was no exception.


But then, Salt Yard also offers this, some of the most delicious pork belly anywhere, ever:


The crackling alone is enough to make you die.

My friend N. and I had a delicious, uproarious lunch. And I can't believe I'm expecting you to read about it.

PS: I've just discovered that this is the chef at Salt Yard, a man called Ben Tish. He made my lovely lunch today, and I want to thank him.


Damn it: talented and sexy. Life's so unfair, isn't it?

6 comments:

sticks said...

Hi LeDuc!
Like you, I like tapas a lot and am pleased to have a good restaurant to add to my places-to-visit list. Thanks! Did you know there is a monthly recipe on their web-site, currently Pan Fried Pumpkin Gnocci with Brown Butter, Sage, Golden Raisins and Pinenuts. It sounds good.
Have you tried Andrew Edmunds in Lexington St for its sherries? And food, of course.

Ipmilat said...

Looks fantastic, and I share your passion for well-chilled dry sherry, although it's a relatively recent discovery for me after a lifetime on the red wine. Am fascinated that it is so savoury: salted roast almonds or new bread, instead of fruits or flowers.

Anonymous said...

Great to see you again. Fab food and the time just flew by. I finally needed to eat again at lunchtime today. Where next? N

albeo said...

Spanish!??! SPANISH!?!?!?!?
I am without words...
Or, for you, no tengo palabras.

LeDuc said...

sticks: Thanks for the tip: I'll look out for it.

Vilges Suola: I think all too many of us were put off sherry when we were children, when our only encounters with it were Harvey's Bristol Cream (I can barely bring myself to type those words) which is, of course, nothing like real sherry.

N: I think we've already identified the next place. Just name the date!

albeo: Oh, come on -- I told you not to read that paragraph: you just wanted to bring a little drama into it, didn't you?!

Lady V said...

Sticks is right, Andrew Edmunds is lovely - my favourite restaurant for dates. Let's go when the badger's born - Daddy can stay home with him and babysit!