Tuesday 15 March 2011

Do you know where you're going to?

Whilst I may know a fair bit about Britain's railways, I know very little about the railways of anywhere else.


But sometimes I stumble across some irresistible images, like this six-pack of German railcars.


I've no idea which bit of Germany they're in, but I love the simple form and the delightful shots of the track and landscape.


The first three were obviously of the same three railcars coupled together, but there's a wholly different design which, for all sorts of reasons, reminds me of the Bamburger Express Brill cars in Utah...


Hideous weather conditions don't seem to interfere in this railcar's ability to keep on running.


And to end, a demonstration of its flexibility: here a pair run together with a freight wagon between them:


Intriguing and engrossing. I think these are just completely delightful (and make me even sadder that Britain closed so many of its rural branchlines so early).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To me the front and rear overhang of the topmost train detracts from its credibility as a train, and the lower one too looks rather too bus-like. The old Michelines on the Digne to Nice line captured the ferrovial spirit in a way which the modern ones, to me, just don't.

Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uerdingen_railbus