Saturday 26 March 2011

Shopping

I hesitated before posting about this because one of the reasons it's so delightful is because it's small scale and non-industrial, but, you know, I'm a sucker for blabbing, so here we go. Today saw what I think of as my pilgrimage to lovely Fournier Street in London's Spitalfields for the annual visit here by Norfolk workwear makers Old Town.


Usually based in a tiny shop and workroom in the tiny but exquisite Georgian market town of Holt (yes, it's miles from anywhere and you will likely never have heard of it), Old Town makes great clothes. Being a Norfolk boy I've visited Holt many times, of course, but Old Town is most generous in descending to London from time to time.


They produce nothing that is vulgar or ostentatious; their goods are all subdued and under-stated, using traditional English fabrics -- in fact the sign over the main shop window proudly lists "cotton drill, fustian, linen, serge, tweed".


The styling is utterly delightful: traditional English workwear, taking styling cues from the late nineteenth century through to the Second World War.


The colour palette is defiantly Austerity Britain: tans and Navys, blacks and greys, enlivened by an occasional sage green or pale blue. The silk ties (woven in Suffolk but that's good enough for me) provide the only real splashes of colour in the menswear:


The designer is a chap called Will Brown -- you can hear him here as well as watching an evocative slide show -- while the face of Old Town is the indomitable Miss Willey (I'm not joking), a flame-haired Geordie lass.

Can I say how much I love this traditional design of pull-on, collarless shirt?:


The trouser range includes what is, so far as I am aware, the only style of drop-flap trousers still manufactured in England (and delightfully named "The Dreadnought"):


As someone who despises The Fashion Industry, I am a huge, huge fan of Old Town's clothes: who needs vulgar changing displays of ostentation when you can wear magnificent Overall Coats like the blue number seen at the front of this rack (oh, alright, I confess: I am the proud owner of one of those):


I ordered another Overall Coat, in tan this time, and a collarless shirt of the most wonderful cream cotton. Now I have to wait five or six weeks for them to be made. It will be like Christmas when the big day arrives.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What great looking clothes! Are you by any chance, one of the gentlemen modelling on their website? I only ask as you are, I'm sure, a valued customer.

I also enjoy my daily Adventure in Beige - thanks for continuing to blog.

Regards,
Michael
Torquay, Devon

LeDuc said...

Hey Michael: glad you're enjoying AIB, but no, none of the models are me.

Nic said...

I own several pairs of trousers from Old Town and as someone who works in the fashion industry feel I should point out that your dislike of the industry is shared by many in it.

What Old Town shows is the positive side of the industry. Well made, good fabrics and driven by someone who has no ego but a love of what they do.

The fact that its in Holt ads to its appeal, it isn't in London and is clearly strong enough not to need to be in the fashion 'Capital'.

Far away from what I call the fluff, the silly PR parties and the getting over excited about a footballer in a pair of pants made in China.

Dan said...

Those are really, really lovely.

Now I am imagining a three-part tableau of clothed man in street clothes, naked man, clothed man in these clothes.

Yum.

Viollet said...

Lovely clothes.

Willey, btw is a very Durham name: (Peter Willey, cricketer) and John (MP) are/were also Durham.

But we didn't call it that, in my young day, so it didn't matter.